In Real Life, My Joureny To the Pixelated World: Joey Graceffa


I haven't read a book in over a month which might be quite surprising considering I have posted 4 other book reviews in the last month, but that is because during July I read a lot of books whilst I was lying in bed. It only takes me a couple of days to read a book if i get really into it which means I had lots of reviews already lined up before I even started by blog.

I am now back to enjoying reading after taking a little break and this is the first thing that I decided to read. It has been sitting on my book shelf for quite some time now as I bought it after I saw youtube star Zoella had read it. I don't regularly watch Joey's videos however, when he first started to become big on Youtube I had seen a few of his collabs and vlogs so I knew a little bit about him.

If you have never heard about him before or only know a little bit like I did before reading this book then you are likely to enjoy this book. (that's if you're into youtube) The book really goes into detail about Joey's childhood and the reasons why he started his Youtube channel including the journey he took to get to the point he is at now with over 6.5 million subscribers.
Something I really like about the book is the fact it is truthful and completely open. In a lot of autobiographies people choose to only talk about all their good childhood memories such as family holidays and special occasions, whereas Joey not only talks about some of his good memories, but it also open and honest about the struggles he faced growing up in a household with an alcoholic. I think this a great quality about the book as it just proves to people that what you see of someone online isn't all there is to them and that everyone had their own personal battles and problems that they have to deal with. I personally think that writing a book like this is a fantastic way of helping other people who may be going through a similar situation - which was Joey's aim.

As I mentioned before even though I don't regularly watch Joey's videos I have a lot of respect for him after reading such a personal experience that he has made public to the entire world. If he was to release another book I would definitely buy it straight away as I really enjoyed his style of writing - it felt more like listening to a friend telling you a story rather than reading a book.

No comments